In May 2022, the Cross Border Xpress’s (CBX) ground-breaking pedestrian bridge and passenger shuttle service provider tapped Team Intesa to “Make a Splash,” using our media-focused Seas the Day product to help deliver a successful grand opening of Tijuana International Airport’s (TIJ) new $100 million passenger processing facility. Once engaged, our team sprang into action and offered strategic planning in media relations and public affairs to get San Diego’s CBX primed and ready for takeoff on May 9th.
Intesa was tasked with inviting local San Diego media to attend the grand opening ceremony, which took place across the Mexican border at TIJ. The responsibility was an important one, as media passports must be prescreened to ensure reporters could smoothly enter the high-profile event and easily return to San Diego.
The two-week engagement produced 18 earned media placements, including feature profiles in the San Diego Union-Tribune, Times of San Diego, ABC 10, CBS 8, FOX 5, KPBS, NBC 7 and more! Dignitaries from Mexico and the US in attendance joined the grand opening celebration including:
- Marina del Pilar, Governor of the State of Baja California
- Laura Diez Barroso, Chairwomen Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico, and Board Member of CBX
- Carlos Laviada Ocejo, Board member of Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico and CBX
- Sidney Aki, Customs and Border Protection, Director of Field Operations
- Councilmember Bill Sandke, City of Coronado
- Hasan Ikhrata, Chief Executive Officer, SANDAG
- Julie Coker, CEO, San Diego Tourism Authority
- Miguel Aguiniga, Secretary of Tourism of Baja California
It was a speedy and successful Seas the Day partnership, and an honor to have played a small role in the CBX journey.
Cross Border Xpress (CBX) is a pedestrian bridge exclusively for passengers of the Tijuana International Airport that allows passengers to cross the border between Mexico and the United States. More at https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/about