In 2014, Intesa was tapped to lead the start-up communications planning, launch strategy, and vendor selection process for the ACE Task Force of Shelby County.
This group of 40+ Memphis, TN, leaders uses Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE) Survey data to reframe the community conversation around the universal and harmful nature of childhood traumatic experiences. Building on the latest available brain and trauma research, the Task Force is redefining the way medical systems and health policies address parenting support, health, and life outcomes.
Our award-winning start-up communications counsel included:
- communications planning
- messaging, press kit development & executive media training
- website design
- vendor outreach and management
- event planning
- media relations materials, strategy and op-ed placement
- Report release project management, editing and messaging
In January 2015, the Task Force released new data showing a direct link between chronic exposure to traumatic events throughout childhood and negative behaviors and health conditions as adults. According to the Task Force report, “Adverse Childhood Experiences in Shelby County Tennessee,” 52 percent of adults in Shelby County report having experienced at least one ACE. The Intesa team organized the Task Force’s communications strategy, messaging development and official report release at the standing-room-only “Getting to our Roots” community forum in Memphis, TN.
Intesa also provided the communications strategy for the opening of the nation’s first Universal Parenting Places (UPPs), revolutionary care centers where parents can receive professional counseling, information and emotional support for family-related issues or concerns, no matter how small.
Also in 2016, Intesa guided the Task Force through the creation and public launch of the ACE Awareness Foundation, a 501(c)3 that provides strategic oversight to the Task Force, the UPPs, and the Parenting Support Warm Line.
Related media coverage
- To improve lifelong health, Memphis tries rooting out childhood trauma, PBS Newshour
- Study shows adverse stats in Shelby County, need for parenting centers, WREG-TV
- 55% Adults Had Traumatic Event During Childhood, Fox13
- City leaders take new approach to ending cycle of violence, ABC24
- Guest Column: Lifting UPP Our Village, The Commercial Appeal
- Guest Column: Parenting places meet childrearing challenges with sustainable solutions, The Commercial Appeal
- Guest Column: Families get a hand UPP to fight effects of childhood trauma, The Commercial Appeal
- Large proportion of Shelby adults endured ‘adverse’ experiences as children, survey finds, The Commercial Appeal
- David Waters: Take the ACE test, then help others overcome it, The Commercial Appeal